We’ve heard it time and time again, “My dog keeps getting into trouble when I’m not home.” This is a very common problem for high drive dogs. Luckily, the solution is fairly simple, it just requires a little work and common sense.
- Crate Training is the number one way to manage your high drive dog when you are not able to watch them. Whether you are at work, the gym, or just not able to watch your dog carefully, they should be in the crate.
- Now, there are a few common misconceptions on crate training which makes dog owners hesitant to use them.
- First, it’s not meant to be a punishment, and shouldn’t be used as one. The crate should be set up as your dog’s little place to call their own. In fact, if trained properly, your dog will actually go to the crate on their own and hang out there.
- If you live in Arizona and want the best dog trainer to help with Crate Training, visit Partners Dog Training.
2. Lots of Activities
- The time you do spend with your dog should be spent burning off all that energy! Throwing a ball, going for a walk/run, or swimming are all great activities to tucker out your dog and get them from getting into trouble when you’re not watching.
- If you want your dog to burn off that energy while you are at work so you can bring home a pooped-out pup check out Partners Doggy Daycare!
3. Chew toys
- We’ve established that your dog’s naughty behavior usually derives from being bored.
- A great way to cure boredom when you’re just hanging out with your pup is to give them something to chew on.
- We don’t have any specific recommendations, just make sure that whatever you give is durable and can’t be choked on.
4. Place Command
- The “Place Command” is a lifesaver when it comes to a high drive dog. Essentially, you give your dog a spot like a rug or a bed where your dog is to go and lie down on.
- This establishes a spot, similar to a crate, where you can manage your dog easier and make sure they aren’t getting into any trouble.
- You can use anything to train the “Place” command, but at Partners Dog Training we use Kuranda Cots because they provide an elevated platform that gives you and your dog a clear line in the sand on where their place is.
- Overall, your high drive pup getting into naughty things is usually a direct relation to their activity and management throughout the day.
- If you establish more structure in their life, you will spend more time in a rewarding relationship rather than correction.